Appliance Care: Before & After an Earthquake
Do you live in an earthquake zone? An earthquake is a sudden, rapid shaking of the ground caused by the breaking and shifting of rock beneath the Earth’s surface. Unlike other natural disasters, earthquakes cannot be predicted and occur without warning.
A strong quake can damage appliances. Prepare appliances for earthquakes and understand appliance care after an earthquake strikes. Remember to consult appliance owner’s manuals first for proper care information.
Pre-Earthquake Appliance Care
- Anchor large appliances to walls.
- Attach child locks to refrigerator doors.
- Check for gas leaks.
- Use your senses to check for a gas leak.
- A hissing sound mat indicates a leak, as would a rotten egg odor. If either are detected, immediately open windows and head far outside the home.
- Never walk around with a lit match searching for a leak. Flip on electrical switches, use appliances, or even use a cell phone — sparks can ignite gas from broken lines.
Post-Earthquake Appliance Care
- Assess damage.
- Turn off all electrical and gas appliances.
- Confirm appliances or electronics are not damaged before plugging them back in.
- Ensure there are no present electrical issues including downed or broken power lines.
- Know where the gas shutoff valve is located and how to switch it off.
- Often located in the basement near the ceiling with a large yellow handle.
- If you live in an earthquake-prone, consider purchasing earthquake-actuated shut-off valves for individual appliances.
- Main or street-side valves are turned off using a wrench. Keep the appropriate tool nearby.
- Remain calm.
Your Reliable and Efficient Appliance Repair
To avoid the hassles and stress, call the certified repair professionals at Appliance Doctor. We deliver quality service and guaranteed customer satisfaction.
We offer several services including range and oven repair, refrigerator repair, freezer and ice maker repair, washer and dryer repair, dishwasher repair services, microwave repair, and garbage disposal repair.
For fast and effective appliance repair, call Appliance Doctor today!